Friday, August 31, 2007

Goodnight Uncle Dave

My great uncle Dave passed away on Wednesday.

The last time I saw him was at my mother's funeral and the time before that was at my father's funeral. I suppose the time before that was at his mother's funeral and then the time before that was at my grandmother's (his brother's wife) funeral.

He wasn't my biological great uncle but he and my Auntie Kath stood by my grandmother when his brother left her back in 1976. I've always thought of that side of the family as my real family as well as the rest of my huge family. Although I hardly see them it is lovely to know they are there.

My aunt (my biological uncle's wife this time) left a message on my answerphone on Wednesday evening. We had gone off to France for the day and that was a disaster in itself. The strange thing was I had cried practically all afternoon. I thought it was because everything that could had gone wrong did but maybe it was because I was picking up vibes? I've always felt emotions when someone close or a neighbour has passed so who knows? I collected the message and knew instantly something was very wrong. I know this sounds really horrible but I have relatives in Germany and there is one great aunt I adore. I had a terrible fear that it may have been her name and I didn't want it to be her. She and I share our birthdate and in a sick way I was quite relieved it wasn't her and grateful it was uncle Dave. I know that sounds horrible and I'm so sorry to say that but I have to get my thoughts out somehow. I feel so badly for my auntie Kath, they were such a wonderful couple. I'm also counting blessings that uncle Dave went quickly because apparently he did not know he was even ill and he had CANCER! True fact. He went to the hospital in agonizing pain at lunch time and by early evening they had taken him to the hospice....By 7.18pm, I had a message to say he had passed away.

I dreamt in the early hours of this morning about a man who had died but it was not my uncle? I don't know who it was but I was obviously close to him and it was a strange old dream for me. I had a good cry about it all yesterday and have had a good cry today......My emotions are different for uncle Dave compared to other relations because I'm grateful he left this world quickly and also he was a good man who led a good life. There are not many like him in this world.

If you have a good person around you, give them a good hug and thankful for them. If you are that person then give yourself a pat on the back.

We will celebrate your life and if you don't mind I will send a donation to the hospice in your name rather than flowers. I've decided this is a gift I'd like to do in honour of my parents from now on.

RIP Uncle Dave

No comments: