Saturday, December 15, 2007

Straight A Students

Elf What a lovely Christmas Surprise! 3D Santa
My children have BOTH brought home good school reports this term. My son's is (I shouldn't say this) but expected as he always puts in a lot of effort to produce great results and he's in a new private school which means he's no longer at the top of the pile any more. He's having to work to get up to that top spot and it may take him till he leave in July 2009 till he reaches that aim in some areas! Other areas like PE/games he has already achieved a great deal and already annoyed his head of PE by leaving the footie team as my lad doesn't really enjoy the sport as much as his beloved rugby. Next term is rugby season and practice has already started and so my lad is in his element. He pulled muscles this week and was 'miffed' with the coach because of the lack of stretching beforehand - I'm sure those in the know understand what I'm talking about?! My son still produced a '2B' which I'm sure would have been a '1A had he stuck with the football squad! (Numbers for effort and 1 being excellent to 5 being dire, letters for achievement, A being well above average, C average, E having series weaknesses).
My son's weakest subject is French but yet he still received a D1 (officially D2 but verbally upgraded when spoke to teacher and she realised how much hard work my son is putting in at home to catch up with his peers who are way ahead of him. Best subject was saxophone lessons - A1! There were other 'As' and other '1s', a couple of Cs and a mixture of of 'B2s' All in all a super effort.

Now for my daughter who did not gain so many grade As (In fact she gained just the one but it was for ICT and she has NEVER EVER gained an A in ICT and so it is all the more special. Her grades were mostly Cs, a few Bs and then Ds, with an E thrown in for a section in Art. Everything was broken down into "Realisation on theory" or "Homework" or "Technical appreciation of the Dingily Dangle Dongle" - Get my drift? All seemed a bit silly and I would have preferred a straight forward grade for effort, homework and achievement.
What was striking was that my darling daughter is doing her homework! Yes at long last things are moving forward. There is inconsistancies however she is flowing in the right direction. It is not an Amazon but a little trickling stream which sometimes has a backflow and gets it wrongs but hay ho I don't care. She's getting there now and paying that money for her education is worth it.

OK I've written along entry and I have a splitting headache which is driving me up the wall. I feel sick too and don't quite know what to do with myself!!!!!!!!! My daughter has just annoyed me and I've shouted at her which has made me feel worse - So much for feeling great about her. I still feel good about her acheivements. It has been a major step for her to change schools; 14 is such a hard age but I don't think she realises that 37 is too.

No comments: