Saturday, May 19, 2007

Chealsea V Man United

Oh wonderful.......FOOTBALL!
It is FA Cup day here in the UK and all we be glued to TV screens watching Man U. (Yuck, a swear word in our house) and Chealsea, both teams wealthy and full of players who must cost a fortune each week for those directors who paid for them but ultimately it is the people who go along to the matches each week who pay. Not forgetting the merchandising too. How many millions this is worth I do not know? We the general public are ripped off constantly by sports teams and that bugs me.
I'm glad my kids have gone off football.
Been thinking over night about this school business and had a long chat again about it with hubby. I know my head was telling that the first school we viewed would be the right choice but only because the cost factor was better for my wallet. My heart was never in the decision which is not the way I work. I was never comfortable with it and now of course all of my doubts and worries are coming to the forefront.
School A would mean my son entering the common entrance class which means less pressure for him than joining the scholarship class of course but it also gives him know chance of gaining any sort of scholarship should he be able? My son would be in a year group of 38
School B has only one class per year and 17 pupils in that class. The maximum the headteacher would like is 18 but would go to 19 at a push. My son could potentially become a scholar whether it be an all rounder, art, sport or academic. If not then at least he would be happier here under less pressure but would pressure there is would be a gentler sort.
School A's Headmaster's comment about his pupils was "Pupils here have to work hard"
Schoo B's Headmaster's comment was "I want my pupils to be happy because then they will give their best and pupils here are happy."
School A is purely academic and only has 2 afterschool clubs and one lunchtime club. You are expected to be the best you can be in everything.
School B has a variety of afterschool clubs and to my son's joy he said in combination with the sport done during the day, you can do sport every single day. Swimming is on the curriculum which is only for the little ones at school A. A good variation is offered at school B rather than just rugby and cricket at school A. I know my son likes rubgy and I was worried that my son would find the sport not as good but actually we turned up at breaktime and it was worth it. The children changed into their 'joggers and reds' which went outside of their uniforms and off they went either onto the huge field to play cricket run or just chat, the tennis courts to (guess?) yes play tennis or the astro pitch to play footie. There's a new adventure playground being built for the older children ready for when my lad starts.........Yes my mind is made up.
He is going to school B.
It suits him down to the ground. He and we talked to a few boys (it's mainly boys as it only became co-ed about 4 years ago and will be all boys in my son's class), and apart from being a bit of a challenge with homework, the state school boys who have joined all sing it's praises. Those who have been there a while love it too. We spoke to a lad who went to my son's old school at school A and I felt he was almost a bit frightened of the prefect and worried about what he was saying? Maybe if he said the wrong thing he would be in trouble? So hence my mind is made up and so is my husband's......and so is my son's........School B it is then!

No comments: