Sunday, May 20, 2007

Jane Tomlinson

I've been watching a TV show called Heaven and Earth and Jane Tomlinson was talking about how she had been receiving death threats. Made me feel quite angry.
Who Jane is?
Here is a photo taken after her first marathon in 2001. Ring any bells?

Jane was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 26 back in 1990. She had two small daughters and everything to live for so that's what she did. She lived. She had a double mastectomy and thought all was fine. She had a further little boy Stephen and lived life to the full.

In 2000, doctors found that the cancer had spread to her bones and the diagnosis was bleak. Jane was given 6 months to live. Again Jane decided she was going to live. Her enormous mental and physical power has led her forward to undertake marathons, Iron man challenges and more recently a 4,200 mile bike ride across America. This ride was nearly never to be completed because of a rather gruelling chemo challenge beforehand and further bad news that the cancer has spread further to her liver. Her doctors were also concerned about the strain on her heart which has been weakened by the illness and the treatment. Plus her bones breaking because of the cancer itself.

Jane completes her challenges for charity and has raised 1.5 million pounds (about $3,000,000 approx). Some people have said she is faking her illness but she is desperately ill. I know what pain is like and I can see it in her eyes. It is almost like a desperation to will the monster away yet her condition is deteriorating and she is dying. I can NOT imagine what death and being told that THAT monster is near is like and she knows that feeling.

Her latest project is a 10 kilometre run in her home town of Leeds. She is unable to run anymore as the cancer has caught up with her but she will back every part of this. I'm linking the website here if you would like to give to her charity it is not for one singular cause but for many.
I am rather touched by this amazing lady and her tenacity to live. I would to think that if I was given 6 months to live I would also like to make my mark on the world? How I would do that I do not know? If I have half of her strength then I would be proud.

I fear that the 6 month prognosis from 7 years ago may now be closer than Jane wants. She has lived to see her first grandchild, raised £1.5 million for charity and inspired goodness knows how many to fight their own battles.
keep going Jane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Tomlinson





No comments: