Thursday, May 17, 2007

Dyslexia

I had thought about spelling Dyslexia wrongly and it being funny but this is not a funny subject. My daughter is two and a half weeks off being 14 years of age and yesterday her new English teacher at her new private school suggested that she may well be DYSLEXIC? Reading

I'm in two minds about it right now because at Junior/Infant school, my daughter ALWAYS managed to acheive 10/10 in her spellings so how can she now be dyselxic? Did she learn the shape of the word? She was always capable but she has always struggled and played up and I wonder if this is her way of getting out of doing the work because she could not do it?
Or on the other hand could it be that her senior school has allowed her standard of English to DROP to such a poor level? In the past three years it has dropped and that is a fact. It is clearly stated in her report and no one can deny that. I can only be happy now that we have moved her when we have to this alternative school because being in a class of nine is only going to benefit her. The last school had her in a class where most of the children mis-behaved and left the classroom half way through the lesson. I have been complaining to the head of department throughout the school year and it seems I was right too.

I have a letter to write to that school as we have not been sent ANY of her school books. I would have thought that was a matter of decency. They did not even offer any words of support to state our son would be educated in any a better standard if he was to attend that school Thank god he is not!

I have received a confirmation letter this morning offering my son a place at our first choice prep school. My son's taster day is all that is in the way now plus we need to look at this other alternative prep school tomorrow to ensure we are making the correct choice.

Big decisions but after what my daughter came home and said last night I know, and my husband knows we are making the right choice to take our children out of state education.

No comments: