Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Let it snow....and more!

I haven't downloaded any new smilies onto this new laptop yet (Oh yes there is lots to tell) but if I had I would be eagerly putting SNOW SNOW SNOW here today.

The south of England has been covered with more snow than I can remember for a good couple of years. It's jolly cold too and my poor cleaning lady has just arrived fro her short walk from her house frozen to the bone. Two 'cuppas' later (cups of tea) and a good chat about Big Brother and we're both feeling more chilled out but in the metaphorical sense.

My blog needs to give a mention to the English celebrity Big Brother because anyone who knows me knows I LOVE BIG BROTHER! I'm an absolute addict whether it be the normal version which runs in the summer or the charity version every January. This year's celebrities have hit the headlines all over the world with the 'racism row' and I hope that is now dying down at least until some of the other housemates come out. Jade Goody, was the first housemate to be kicked out as a result of the racism row and she's been on nearly every single chat show crying and asking Shilpa Shetty's parents for forgiveness. I've put some links below and for those who are reading my blog in other parts of the world and have not heard of all the furore and IF you want to know more, please go and check the links out. I've put four to try and give a more balanced view when it comes to the jade heated argument and apologies afterwards. What it does not do though is talk about the underlying fact that of course racism exists! BUT I also believe Jade would have reacted the same way had Shilpa been a white person so what would it had been called then? Straight forward bullying that's what!

http://www.hindu.com/2007/01/24/stories/2007012402481600.htm
http://www.zeenews.com/articles.asp?aid=349195&archisec=ENT&archisubsec=1
http://www.rediff.com/movies/2007/jan/22shilpa.htm
http://www.channel4.com/bigbrother/housemates/housemate_news.jsp?id=16

My own view is this. We have this show which is HUGELY popular with our youngsters in the UK. Celebrities that choose to go on a show such as BB know what they are letting themselves in for. I've never seen a celeb take n a show such as that who is at the top of their career with anything to loose. It is always the opposite.
The producers of BIG BROTHER knew exactly what they were doing when they stuck those weird and wondrous personalities in that house and they knew that certain ones would not mix. They knew that Danielle for instance is a 23 year old spoilt little brat but does she know that when she comes out of the house that she has lost EVERYTHING because of her words and actions.

Back to Jade. I've watched her on a four shows since she's come out of the house and I wish her agent would allow her to have some space away from the TV screen now and be reunited with her kids. It's a disgrace that her windows have all been smashed because of a TV show? Last year there were TWO bullies on BB and I cannot recall hearing anything about either of these two? PETE BURNS AND GEORGE GALLOWAY. How quickly the British public forget these.
The difference this time is because of the question "Was this racist?" This is a real worry for me because I could be considered racist then as I quite often copy my friends accents just as the housemates did and this was ONE aspect which was Jade's downfall. We have many people coming over to this country and this enables labour to become cheaper and my husband has himself said "I wish sometimes 'they' (when he sees something on the TV) would go back to their own country". Does that make him racist? I've NEVER considered myself racist nor does my husband. He has colleagues who use nasty terms to refer to Asians and I won't use the words here and my husband hated repeating those words when we talked about it yesterday. This issue has created a countrywide debate and that is a good thing. I've always tried to bring my kids up with tolerance and that doesn't just mean race, that means disability, age, height etc. We all come in differing shapes and sizes don't we?

Jade's only mistake was talking before she engaged her brain. She's not the sharpest tool in the box and SHE HERSELF would admit to that and NO ignorance can not be an excuse all the time but in this case it certainly can.

HOWEVER, when Jade's boyfriend comes out I hope she gets rid of him quicker than you can say big brother because he's a nasty piece of scum and yes he is racist! (IMHO)
Danielle - Again stupid and immature and I cannot make my mind up on her. I don't think she deserves to gain any credibility from this show and she will certainly will not now. I hear she has lost her footballer boyfriend and lost her modelling contract too......Silly girl.
Jo - the last one in the act is the one I cannot make my mind up about. It was almost as though she allowed herself to be manipulated into the game and became a 27 year schoolgirl. Almost like she felt she had to become a bully or be bullied? She's had panic attacks and is terrified of what is going on in the outside world even though the housemates have no real idea. I guess the fact that Jade had no crowds waiting for her told them that it was pretty grim!

Who do I want to win? I'd still like CLEO however SHILPA deserves the UK to tell her that we treat our guests from other countries with respect and we do not bully as a rule. Yes there is a minority and that is what I am trying to say here. I'm willing to stand up for the majority and say SHILPA TO WIN!!!!






No comments: