Monday, March 19, 2007

Wide Awake

5.53am.

Been awake now for some time, my body aches and I have a stupid cough. Looks like I'm coming down with a cold. At least yesterday was a good day!


Today is my daughter's taster day at Posh School. She's also taking her entrance test and we will find out if we are entitled to an Assisted Place or not? The Government used to run the assisted places scheme and it was put in place so that families who could not afford private education could access it. If you earned less than a certain amount of money, you could apply for a place. The Labour Government got rid of the scheme and supposedly put the money back into state education but I am yet to find where they put it? Some schools have kept the scheme to ensure children from less privileged backgrounds can come to their school and we have found out that 50% of the girls at our daughter's proposed new school are on scholarships or APs. If you earn £36k or less per year, the school deducts nearly half of the fees! Earn more than that and it is a sliding scale of reduction. Now all we need is our daughter to pass the assessments........I feel nervous about it because now we've asked for an assisted place it's almost like the can turn us down if our daughter does not perform to their best - very best standard. I have been told the tests are to see where they can place her next term? I hope so. Our daughter needs this school and desperately wants to go there!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was most fortunate that I was able to get the infamous and ever adorable one scholarshipped into a good private school when she was 13 and it was a true blessing. She was getting a terrible education in a very upscale public school. Even with heavy scholarshipping it can be rather pricey with all of the "extra" fees for activities etc but it will be well worth it. Bravo!!!!

The Jaded Painiac