Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Anti-depressants prescribed for sore finger.


I bet everyone who believes anti-depressants do not work will jump on the bandwagon today after the University of Hull have stated that the new generation of anti-depressants only help those who are severely depressed. Of course if you were like me watching GMTV this morning, you were led to believe they did not work at all! God I hate sensationalist media.


Charities who dislike drugs like Seroxat and Prozac have commented already stating the news is "Disturbing" and of course the makers of said drugs have handed out inventories of statistics which claim their drugs do work. I am ex Seroxat patient and personally it was not the drug for me and I stopped taking because it did not work. I went on to take another equally strong anti-depressant which helped to disguise that fact I was depressed and that is all. I know doctors are under pressure and counselling services over stretched but these are the services which NEED to be utilised and not the drugs which are pushed into peoples hands. Also people have a fear of counselling and reject it because of that fear. Shame really as it worked for me.

Personally speaking, there needs to be more reports before claims can be made about these drugs. Those suffering with anxiety and depression who are taking newer anti-depressants will now worry after reading or hearing these news reports especially the tabloid versions and panic; thus making any condition they are suffering with worsen. Nice one, (not).

No comments: