Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Personal Identity

How much of your information is out there for the world to see? The internet has become all encompassing and even me posting here with my blog, I write so much about my personal life and I do not have a clue about who could be reading it?

A couple of years ago, I needed some support and I decided to join a web group and the majority of the members were American and so I didn't know anything about these members and the vastness of the country made it difficult for me to understand where they came from. I have found true friendship with some of the people I met via that group so I'll be honest I am happy in some respects and those friends know I hold them in high regard, however I also came across some complete nutcases.

Some people did not even have medical conditions and manipulated others for their own sad existence!
Some people gave themselves numerous identities!
Some people stole off other members!
Some members stalked other members!

I'm not intending to go over what happened in my sad and miserable life as I talked about this when I first started blogging but because I answered a questionnaire about it today it has made me think about it. How much info we give out can affect our own lives. I am the sort of person who is fairly honest and takes people as they find them and I bet there are millions around the world like me. Then of course there are those questionnaires I and others answer. We give out so much information and where does it go? I only hit on genuine organisations but I bet not all out there are genuine? Then another way of getting information is when we buy products on the net. I'm waiting for something to arrive and it is LATE and I am ANGRY. I have sent two emails and they are nice ones but they will not be so nice if I have to send another one.

Try putting your name/handle/blog name/nickname etc on goggle and see what comes up. My friend did this and she was amazed to see how her information was listed page after page.

Be careful out there everyone and look after yourself as no one else will.

No comments: