Thursday, February 08, 2007

Fluffy white stuff

'HEAVY SNOW CAUSES TRAVEL CHAOS AND SHUTS SCHOOLS'
Declares the front page of the Times Newspaper today.

'SNOW BRINGS MISERY TO ENGLAND'
States the Telegraph, yet another headline to make those worldwide think that we are in the midst of a terrible twenty foot snow fall.

But how much snow really fell? The BBC tell us that only "Up to 10cm (4in) of snow fell in some areas." however because we are so unused to this sort of weather, when it happens we fall apart literally. My point is does it mean that we have to have an MP call for a commons debate on the matter and WHY oh WHY are we Brits so utterly obsessed with the weather?
I knew today that I was going to mention it because my son is away still on his school camp and the latest news is that they are all FREEZING. Shiver On Tuesday it was minus temperatures all day (centigrade) and doubled socks and jumpers/sweaters were required. My son has taken his the thinest coat in this wardrobe but he has a couple of thick fleeces and will be fine (I hope). But I digress......Where we live, there's none of this snow the country is supposedly covered in but where my lad is it's white and crisp and I bet snowball fights and REAL sledging was enjoyed today. My kids have NEVER sledged before and I find that so sad because I remember how I used to use a piece of cardboard or a tray or anything which would get me down a hill where I used to live. We don't have snow like that near the sea.....

So poor old UK today. Trains not working; thousands of schools shut; some households without power nothing new for a snowy day then?







No comments: